Monday, December 26, 2011

My Christmas Present!!!

Famous question the day after Christmas.... "What did Santa bring you?"

My boss has two little boys the ages of 2 and 4, so naturally He had the privilege to play Santa Clause.  He told me his oldest son has been asking for a toy garbage truck to go with his toy garbage cans and trash man all year...it was the only thing he put on his Christmas list to Santa.  Being so excited to give it to him, I asked how his son liked the present on Christmas morning.  Surprisingly the garbage truck disappeared in the mess of wrapping paper as it was quickly replaced with the Power Rangers he received.  His son became enamored by his new obsession with his action figures, and is now asking for power ranger accessories.... it is already on his Christmas list for next year!

Heading back to my desk, I couldn't help but chuckle, as the 4-year-old story is nothing short of the daily battle in life.  Never Content.  Always wanting more.  Wondering, what will ever be sufficient? 

Ironically enough, in my study time today, I read Jeremiah 17:9, my "heart is deceitful above all things." 

My Boss's story is so closely related to a life long journey of searching for the next "thing"...it is very evident that my heart has deceived me.  I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I have said "If only I had this, I would be happy"... only to receive that "thing" and wind up more miserable than before I had received it. 

The past few months has been a blessing of allowing the Lord to change this pattern in my heart... to allow him to be the only "thing" I long for... not to strive for anything else...not allowing my heart to be deceived one more time!  In knowing that deception is far removed from a life that follows hard after the Lord... my goal has been "to seek and to find Him with all of my heart." (Jer. 29:13).

I cannot recall what Santa gave me yesterday, but I do know my heart was reminded of the best gift I received almost 13 years ago...the gift of Salvation from my Jesus.  Celebrating the birth of my King reminded me that my heart is done searching.  I am content and fully satisfied for eternity.  My sins have been paid for and I am loved by my Marvelous Creator...  NO earthy possession, relationship, or pleasure can top that truth!  My gift is not just eternal, it is a gift I enjoy every moment, of every day... as I experience a real, on-going relationship with my King!  I am humbled by the blessing my Lord has bestowed upon me!

"You can have the world, just give me Jesus!"- Jeremy Camp

 

No comments:

Post a Comment